Makalu Arun Social Trek (MAST) is a social trekking company established by SESF Khandbari offering social trekking activities including volunteering opportunity in its itineraries.Under the MASTvolunteering program, our guests are offered the chance to volunteer along the trekking route as per their choice and interest. These opportunities will be a unique and wonderful chance for them to interact with the local people and study about their authentic rural life..
Volunteering along our trekking routes is a great way to experience Nepalese people, their culture and tradition firsthand.
School volunteer programs can be an additional teaching guide for the students. Cultural and language exchanges – in teaching and other school activities – can be an essential learning experience for students, teachers, and volunteers.
Some volunteering activities our guests have experience to date include:
- Teaching English at Secondary Higher Secondary Schools.
- Distributing educational materials to the school children
- Distributing equipment and materials to the hospital/health organzations
- Sharing ideas about poverty poverty reduction;running small scale enterprise.
- Sponsoring a child for education through SESF.
- Distributing clothes to the kids at the orphanage.
- Donating food (rice,lentils, vegetables and fruits)sleeping bags, mattresses,blankets etc to orphanages.
- Donating books, pens,pencils,crayons,drawing papers to orphanages/schools.
Food and accommodation
Our philosophy is that anyone who is interested to help make a difference does not have to pay to come and volunteer.
Since our activities and programs rely solely on private donations, we don’t have the extra funds at our disposal. Our guests are always most welcome to make financial or material contributions whenever possible.
You can prepare your own food in your room, eat at a nearby home, eat food at the orphanage,or eat in a nearby hotel. If you choose to eat at a local hotel, you can expect to pay $15 per day for local dal bhaat Nepali food, tea, breakfast, snacks and boiled water to drink. There are no other participating costs or fees to get involved as a volunteer at our orphanage